The First General Baptist Church of Decatur had its origin as a mission, located at 2000 N. Union St. This Mission was organized into a church on May 26, 1956, with eight charter members. Eventually, the Church was able to purchase 2 2/3 acres at 2825 South Baltimore Avenue , holding the first service in the basement in March, 1974. The main sanctuary was destroyed by a tornado in 1975; the church was rebuilt with the first service in the new sanctuary held in February, 1976.
The Lord has continued to bless the work at First General Baptist Church through the years. The congregation has grown to an average weekly attendance of around 140 people.
Randall Garrett and wife Starla